Friday, May 1, 2009

Tell No One - Best Movie I've Seen In A While - an Escape/Adventure/Surprise, and a Love Story!

"Tell No One" is one of the best movies I've seen in a while. It's pretty rare that you get to watch a murder mystery story that is not predictable, for one thing. The feeling of really wanting to know What happened? Who did it? reminds me of when I was a kid and enjoyed Agatha Christie books. I don't know the last time I got that feeling from a movie! Plus, this was an adventure story, where you're following the hero as he gets himself into one suspenseful situation after another. What will happen with the secret meeting in the park? Can he escape capture? Yet, it's not cliche-driven like so many typical suspense films. There are characters you just have to love and you don't see it coming. For example, the hero, Alex, is a pediatrician. And when he gets in trouble he has to recruit some muscle to come save him. The muscle he recruits is a guy who looks like a tough guy and who has connections to the street, but who is really a sensitive father who once took his son to the pediatrician's office. Yup! That conversation about "I owe this guy a favor"? -- So not typical for it to be followed by "He helped me out when I took my kid to the doctor."

And, of course, what else would I want but a good love story? Also included, free of charge. Just a bonus.

No comments: